Thursday, January 20, 2011

River City Hum



Who's in the mood for something local?  I am, and I assume you are, too.  One of the stand out moments in my local show history was the first time I saw River City Hum at Park Theatre, when I was 16.  I was there to see a totally different band (The Playing Cards, I think...maybe The Fo!ps) but left with a new a favourite band after the Hum played.  Unfortunately for me, they broke up right around my 18th birthday, so I never got to see them in a bar, and was limited to the few all ages shows they did.
I'm not really sure how to describe their sound...it's pretty funky, fairly rock 'n' roll and throws in some of the cool spacey shit, too.  They only released two CD's, and there was only 15 tracks between them, and I never even got the first one, Gallery.  Lucky for me their website had it available for download, along with 4 b-sides, so I have the tracks.  Their singer, Deano (I think that's how it's spelled) had always said he had a copy for me, but I haven't seen him in years, so I doubt I'll ever get that.

The best show I ever saw them do was at Shine Thru Rain in 2006, which is a small festival on a dude's farm in Sandilands Provincial Park.  Deano kept telling everyone that they had a big surprise, and it was gonna be awesome, so there was some talk of what it may be, but most people were either too drunk or stoned to really care.  But when their set came around midnight, and Deano walked out into the crowd (warning people "you may wanna back the fuck up, man") it piqued some curiosity.  Next thing you know fireworks were flying all over the place, while Deano stood by grinning, and the crowd (99% wasted) giggled and clapped.

If you were lucky enough to see River City Hum while they were around, I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did/do.  If not, that sucks for you.

I don't have any videos for y'all this time, and for that I truly apologize.  I can't even figure out how to embed a song on here, because I'm apparently not as tech-savvy as I thought I was.  What I DO know how to do, however, is make it so you can click here, and it will take you to their MySpace page where there is some music available.

No comments:

Post a Comment