Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Is This Music? Vol. 2

Howdy internet people, and welcome to the second edition of Behind the Blog's Is This Music?

As you may recall, the first edition of ITM? featured Merzbow (click here to view), which I had deemed to NOT be music, and the only responder to the question agreed with me.  Now let me make something clear here, "is this music?" is not just a title, or rhetorical question.  I really want to know what you guys think, so leave a comment, give me your opinion, suggest future candidates for ITM? (this edition comes from a reader suggestion), post a picture of your new puppy or kitty, just do something!  I want some feedback, internet people!

This time, I bring you something which was brought to my attention in the comments on the inaugural ITM?.  Well, I guess I knew about it before, but I wasn't planning on using it for this purpose.  Thanks to mr_viking for the idea.

In 1952, an American composer named John Cage wrote 4'33", and experimental piece which was apparently written to be played on any instrument.  This kicker?  The musician plays nothing.  Nothing at all.  The piece has been performed worldwide by a variety of musicians, groups and orchestras.  Many people argue that this is just around four and a half minutes of silence (and I'm with them), but fans of the piece (see: rich artsy folks) say that's it's not the silence you should be hearing, but the sounds of the environment around you. 

My opinion?  It's a performance, but not music.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, (see: rich artsy folks) ;) Agreed, performance art, not music.

    I love how some of the musicians are smirking ;) and some of them look pissed off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading somewhere that some guy "wrote" a piece of "music" entitled "One Minute Silence (After Cage)". It was exactly that - one minute of silence, ostensibly a tribute to 4'33". The publishing company that owned the rights to 4"33" sued for copyright infringement and won a substantial settlement.

    ReplyDelete