Sunday, November 7, 2010

Flash Fiction

*This post is part of an assignment for my creative writing class*

 Earlier on this year in our Creative Writing class, CreComm students were introduced to Arjun Basu, a writer from Montreal.  Basu writes short stories via Twitter, using each of the allotted 140 characters and no less.  He calls his stories Twisters "because everything on Twitter has a stupid name", and they are probably some of the shortest flash fiction (really short stories) you'll ever read.  Click here to read more about Basu, or follow him on Twitter, @arjunbasu.

Our class was challenged to create our own flash fiction (I won't call them Twisters, because we weren't required to use all 140 characters), which turned out to be a bit more difficult than I had imagined.  Here are the ones that I wrote.  Typically I just wrote what was in my mind at the moment (though they weren't true in any way), so some of them are kinda weak/just plain dumb.

"Running to catch up, but my shoe is undone. I fall."

"I left the club with a bleeding nose. Turns out she had a boyfriend."

"Everyone knew the guy, he was an asshole. That's what made it so funny."

"They sat around in a silence for a long time.  Joe said he was going to get a drink, but he just went home.  That place was boring, anyways."

"The game had just started, but no one wanted to keep playing.  Scrabble is fucking stupid, they agreed, and never played board games again."

"There were too many movies to choose from, so that sat and stared at the blank screen instead.  Bad idea."

"He spent all night drawing a chalk mural on her sidewalk. "Now she'll remember my name" he thinks. It rained before she woke up."

So there you have it, an example of some of my creative writing.  That last one was based off of a line in a Raconteurs song, and to keep with Jaremy on Music tradition, here is a video of the band performing that song, which is called Together.


No comments:

Post a Comment