Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sam vs Judy LIVE @ RRC!

*this post is an assignment for my Journalism class.  Check back soon for my post on Russian Circles.*

Today may be a turning point in one aspect of my life.  Stress on the MAY BE.  The day I became interested in politics.  Up until this morning I had always found politics (and politicians) to be so full of it that it was unbearable for me to follow.  And, like Stan Marsh in one episode of South Park, I was never really a fan of the options I was given on the ballot, so I usually go write myself in as a candidate, just for kicks (anyone who doesn't like their options is encouraged to write my name on their ballot, that's Jaremy with an "a" Ediger).  On top of all the lies and egos, I found most things political about as boring as Coronation Street.  Sorry to any fans, but after hearing that damn depressing theme song every weekend for my entire life as my Mom watches it in the other room has ruined me...also, sorry Mom, I should have told you that in person, not on the internet.

This morning, Red River students had the opportunity to watch Sam Katz and Judy Wasylycia-Leis debate live in the cafeteria of the Princess St (Princess Ave according to Richard Cloutier) campus.  I'm not sure if I would have attended it had I not been required to, but I'm glad I was.  The mayoral candidates duked it out for almost two hours for an audience of mostly students, tackling issues such as Winnipeg's increasing crime rate, crumbling infrastructure, the Veolia contract and briefly touching on the police helicopter recently purchased by the city.  Though neither presented any new ideas or platforms, it was interesting to hear them exchange blows, and be able to watch their reactions right in front of me.  The highlight for me was Judy W-L's rapid shift facial expressions after Katz responded to her scolding him about the Veolia contract with "Thanks, Mom!"  Many people saw that as a low blow, and it even evoked a few boos from the audience.  Personally I saw nothing unethical about it, for a couple reasons... 

1)  Name-calling is part of politics, that much I know.  They're called attack ads, people, it's no different.  

2)  As far as slandering the opponent goes, Judy presented very little of her own ideas, and spent much of her time talking down on Katz, with not much to back it up. 

3)  In regards to being condescending, how about referring to the incumbent mayor as "My dear Sam Katz" at one point.  You had to hear the tone she used.  In fact you can, by clicking here to watch the entire debate, courtesy of the Winnipeg Free Press.  Watch for my buddies Garth and Al to ask the hard hitting questions near the end.

Throughout this whole debate I felt like I should be taking notes, in case the big bad Journalism instructor decides that a quiz is necessary (note to Duncan: it's not), but I was too caught up in the debate to even think about taking out my notebook.  The back and forth exchange was so quick and enticing that I doubt I would have been able to write fast enough, anyway

A lot of people are talking about the "winner" of the debate, and though there really is no winner in a debate, I felt that Katz presented himself a lot better than Judy W-L.  She spent too much time talking about Katz, rambled on for too long, and presented arguments that were factually ungrounded.  Katz was more professional, more composed and tackled the issues at hand rather than talking circles around them.

I should mention, though, that I am still unimpressed with my options in this election, and plan to write myself in again.  JAREMY FOR MAYOR!


2 comments:

  1. I agree with the Coronation part. That whole show should be banded from TV.

    ReplyDelete