Saturday, October 16, 2010

Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival


Throughout my posts, you will often see me talk about the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, for one simple reason: it's probably the greatest place on Earth.  It is a 4 day festival held annually in June in Manchester, Tennessee, which now attracts over 70 000 people per year.  Everyone camps out in a giant field on some dude's farm and just lets loose.  Rarely will you see people not getting along (they're hippies, what do you expect) and it is easily one of the most relaxed atmospheres I've ever experienced.

I have been for the past three years, and seen some of the best concerts I've ever seen there.  Pearl Jam, The Raconteurs, Stevie Wonder, The Dead Weather, Conan O'Brien, The Black Keys, The Melvins, Beastie Boys, Jay-Z, Galactic, Trombone Shorty...the list goes on and on.  With over 120 acts spread out over 4 days on 5 main stages/tents, and I believe 8 secondary stages/tents, festival goers have the opportunity to see many of their favourite bands all in the same day.  This past year, I saw over 20 concerts in the brief span, with almost no overlap.  One disappointing moment for me was when John Fogerty and Ween overlapped, and I missed the first half of the Ween show.  But seeing Fogerty play an outdoor show in the south in 110 degree sun was just too good of an opportunity to pass up.  

It really is hard to describe Bonnaroo in words, so I'll let the videos and pictures do the talking.  If you ever get the chance, go!  Just don't forget sunscreen, a hat, and rain gear.

An aerial shot taken this past year gives you an idea of how huge the place is.

  The view from the second main stage, The Which Stage.

 Mid-day crowd at the main stage, The What Stage.

 Pearl Jam playing Better Man in 2008.  Eddie Vedder was spectacularly drunk.  Polished a few bottles of wine during the show.
The Raconteurs playing Old Enough in 2008. Check out the tone Jack White has coming out of that acoustic.

The Beastie Boys doing Sabotage in 2009. They screwed it up TWICE! Awesome.

The Dead Weather playing Blue Blood Blues in 2010.

Ween doing Touch My Tooter in 2010. If you haven't heard of Ween, enjoy.

Lastly, The Melvins playing Civilized Worm. Check out that sweet double drummer action!

2 comments:

  1. this made me sooo nostalgic. i heart bonnaroo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. Been every year since 2005 except 2006 and 2008. I don't think any lineup will ever beat 2009 though. It truly is amazing how big the place is. Been 5 times now but I swear it seems bigger everytime. It's quite overwhelming, the size of the place and the whole camping alongside strangers from all over the country on some dude's farm. Damn near every great show I've seen in my life has happened here in Manchester, TN, and I'd say I probably see about 200 bands a year, and that dates back to about 2005.

    ReplyDelete