Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Sadies


Hi there, internet people! Today I am here to tell you a little bit (emphasis on little) about a country/indie/blues/rock band from Toronto made up of guitarists/vocalists/brothers Dallas and Travis Good (the sons/nephews of the famous Canadian group The Good Brothers), bassist Sean Dean and drummer Mike Belitsky. Collectively, they are The Sadies.

They have been releasing music since 1998, averaging one studio album per year, and released an amazing live album in 2006. The live album features many guest appearances, including The Good Brothers, Blue Rodeo, Neko Case and many more.

My first experience with The Sadies was seeing them open for The Tragically Hip at the MTS Centre in 2007. From the moment they struck the first chord of “Lay Down Your Arms” to the moment they left the stage I was transfixed. This was the fourth (or fifth, I can't really remember) time I had seen The Hip, and they FINALLY had a good opener. I have since seen them perform at The Pyramid Cabaret twice, and they have gotten better with every show. Aside from playing as The Sadies, they often record and tour with other musicians, most notably as Neko Case's preferred backing band for live shows.

This is the kind of band you need to experience live at some point in your life.

 As always, here's a couple videos of the group in action.
"Intro/Lay Down Your Arms"
"Why Be So Curious?"

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this edition. I particuarly liked the second tune "Why be so Curious?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard it...is that John Doe from X?

    ReplyDelete