Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Carolina Chocolate Drops


It's been a while since I've written about a band that I like, and these guys have been stuck in my head for a couple of days, so here ya go.  I first heard of Carolina Chocolate Drops in 2007, when I saw them at Folk Fest.  I remember leaving and thinking "that was pretty cool" but never got around to checking out any of their recordings.  My Dad enjoyed the band, and ended up buying one of their t-shirts, so their name always stuck with me. 

I decided to check them out when I saw their name on last year's Bonnaroo lineup.  After watching a few videos on YouTube, I decided we had check out their show.  Unfortunately, unforeseen circumstances didn't allow me to see the whole show (okay, I admit it, I got way drunk the night before and couldn't bring myself to get up in that heat).  The part I saw made me immediately regret not dragging my sorry ass out from under the shade tent and getting there for the start.  This is just some good ol' fashion music.  No overused effects, no auto-tuners, no stupid repetitive loops, no testosterone-drenched cock-rock lyrics, no...you get the point. Just three really talented people playing a variety of instruments and singing.

I don't know much (anything) about Carolina Chocolate Drops, so I'll let the videos do the talking.

Cornbread and Butterbeans


Memphis Shakedown


Covering "Hit 'Em Up Style" at Bonnaroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment